From getting a new job to buying a house to welcoming a child into the world, life is filled with events that are cause for celebration. And when a loved one finds success or achieves their goals, you want to show them how happy you are for them in a manner that is both appropriate for the situation and matches the magnitude of the occasion.
The best way to acknowledge that person’s accomplishment, says Karen Hickman, an etiquette and protocol consultant based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is by sharing a heartfelt message of congratulations.
“I’m a big proponent of sending notes when you hear of an achievement, read something in the paper, or learn exciting news,” Hickman says.
She recommends keeping messages short and sweet but always including personalization so they never sound like a canned response.
“If the situation calls for it, don’t be afraid to be casual or humorous,” she advises. “Above all, make sure they know their achievement or accomplishment is well deserved. It helps to back up what you’re saying with examples, too.”
78 congratulations wishes and messages to try
The examples of congratulations messages below are categorized by occasion, but they can be adapted for other major life events as well. Feel free to put your own spin on them for whatever type of success a friend, family member, or colleague achieves.
Graduation congratulations messages
- A wild and fun ride is behind you — but an even wilder one awaits. Congratulations on your graduation!
- You’re a graduate, and we couldn’t be prouder. Toss your cap and celebrate today!
- Your best and brightest days are all ahead. Congratulations on your amazing journey!
- Congrats on all your achievements and your well-deserved success. Today is your day!
- Congratulations on your graduation, and the very best wishes for a bright future.
- Remember the past but look to the future — your best days are yet to come. Congrats, graduate!
Engagement congratulations messages
- The greatest day of your life is ahead. We’re so happy you’ve found the love of your life!
- Congrats to the happy couple. You two lovebirds deserve all the love in the world.
- Pop the champagne and start the planning — there’s a wedding on the horizon! We’re so happy for you both.
- You popped the question and got the greatest answer! Congrats to the best couple around on their much-celebrated engagement.
- A big congratulations to the cutest couple around. Best wishes and more for a beautiful wedding and marriage.
- Next up? The best wedding ever. Congratulations on your engagement!
Wedding congratulations messages
- Congratulations on your wedding! May you both love each and every moment of your beautiful life together.
- Yay, you’re married! We wish you all the love and well-wishes in the world. Your lives together have just begun!
- Cheers to your beautiful wedding and the beginning of your beautiful marriage.
- Consider today the first (and best!) day of the rest of your lives. Here’s to your bright future together.
- Congrats, newlyweds — we’re rooting for you! Enjoy your beautiful new life together.
- There’s nothing more beautiful than two people making the ultimate promise. Best wishes and congrats to the newlyweds.
New baby congratulations messages
- Blessings and well-wishes for your new bundle of joy!
- Welcoming the sweetest little one to the world. Wishing your family all the very best!
- Congrats on the greatest (and smallest!) addition to your amazing family. May [he/she] always have the best of health and happiness.
- We are so happy for the [number of family members] of you! Your wonderful family is now even more precious than it was before.
- Congrats on the newest member of the [family name] gang. We are overjoyed for all of you.
- Congratulations on the best day ever! Wishing your family and your new little one the very best.
Anniversary congratulations messages
- Your love is an inspiration to all those who see it. Congratulations on [number of years] together!
- Congratulations to two soulmates who found an inspiring, enduring love. Your best years are yet to come!
- Seeing the love you two have for each other grow over the last [number of years] has been nothing short of incredible. Congratulations on your anniversary!
- Congratulations on your enduring love. We can’t wait to see what adventures you two continue to tackle together!
- Congratulations to two dream-come-true partners. We are honored to watch the life you have built together continue to grow.
- [Number of years together] down, forever to go. Cheers to the greatest couple we know.
Retirement congratulations messages
- You finally did it! Congratulations on your much-deserved retirement.
- Time to punch out and clock in for retirement. We are so proud of your impressive achievements.
- Another one joins the retirement squad — we are glad to have you aboard! Congrats on your retirement.
- The big day is here, and we couldn’t be happier for you. Enjoy this new adventure.
- It’s been a wild ride, but the next one is the best. Congratulations on a career full of success and achievements.
- Say goodbye to the office and hello to retirement. You’ve made an impact in your industry, and now it’s time to celebrate your success. Way to go!
Gift ideas to express congratulations
New job congratulations messages
- We knew you’d knock that interview out of the park! Congratulations on your new job.
- Way to go, tiger! Congratulations on a new and exciting opportunity.
- Ready to show your new boss who’s boss? (Hint: It’s you.) Congratulations on your brand-new gig.
- Your company just got its best [job title] yet. Congrats on the new job.
- New job, new you? We sure hope not — you’re perfect just the way you are. Congratulations on your new position!
- Congrats to joining your new company — it just hired the best employee it could find. Way to go on your new gig.
Job promotions & new title congratulations messages
- Congratulations on your brand-new title. It’s incredibly well deserved, and we couldn’t be prouder.
- [Name of company] finally put you in charge of [department name], huh? That’s the best decision it’s made yet.
- Congrats on the new title. You’re going to knock this position out of the park like you always do!
- You’re the best, and now you’re the boss. Way to go on this new chapter.
- [Name], you deserve this promotion! Congratulations on your hard work and success.
- Way to go on your new promotion. Drinks on us!
Professional success congratulation messages
- We always knew you’d get this far. Congratulations on your [professional success] achievement. Proud of you!
- We have been proud of you every step of the way — way to go!
- You did it! Congratulations on achieving your dream of [professional success]. We couldn’t be more excited for you.
- Your newest venture is the most exciting one yet. Congratulations on your [professional success]. We are here to support you every step of the way!
- The big news around the water cooler is that you [professional success]. Congratulations to the most deserving person we know.
- Work hard, celebrate harder! Congrats on your [professional success] — it couldn’t have happened to a better person.
Awards & nominations congratulations messages
- Congratulations on [award/nomination]. You’ve always been a winner in our eyes.
- Congratulations on winning [award/nomination]. You deserve all the recognition (and then some) for your hard work.
- Winning [award/nomination] was a no-brainer — you’re the most committed and hardworking person we know. Congratulations on your big achievement.
- [Name], you did it! We are so proud: Your big moment in the spotlight is here, and you deserve every second of it.
- We couldn’t think of a better person to win the [award/nomination]. Congratulations on being the best [accomplishment] out there.
- The [award] is yours, [name]! Congratulations on all the hard work and determination that led you to this well-deserved recognition.
Personal achievement congratulations messages
- Congratulations on conquering [their achievement]! Your dedication and resilience are awe inspiring.
- We are so proud of you for [their achievement]. Congratulations to a one-of-a-kind person!
- Can you believe you [their achievement]? We can! Congratulations on your latest and greatest accomplishment.
- We knew you were always destined for greatness, so this most recent accomplishment comes as no surprise. Congratulations on a job well done!
- [Their achievement] is no small feat. Congratulations on your continued success, triumph, and commitments — we are so proud of you!
- You did it? Of course you did. Congrats on the [achievement]. We’re always rooting for you.
Athletic achievement congratulations messages
- Your blood, sweat, and tears paid off. We’re so proud of your hard work. Congratulations on your [achievement].
- That [achievement] never stood a chance. Way to crush your goals!
- Work hard, get ahead — you know the drill. Congrats on your latest accolade, we are so proud of you!
- You pursue your passions, outrun your dreams, and work harder than anyone else, so it’s no surprise you accomplished your goal of [achievement]. Congrats!
- You have the determination to dream big and the fire in your belly to make it happen. Congratulations on [achievement]!
- Work hard, celebrate harder. Way to knock this one out of the park.
Scholastic achievement congratulations messages
- Your head might be in the books, but your ambition is out of this world. Congratulations on [achievement or award].
- Can you believe you made it? We sure can. We’re never surprised by your success, but we are always happy to celebrate with you!
- Years of hard work got you here — now it’s time to celebrate your success. We are so proud of your determination and all you’ve achieved.
- This new chapter will be the best yet! Keep working hard, focusing on your goals, and making things happen.
- Congrats on [achievement] — we are always rooting for you!
- This is just the start of your success! We are so thrilled to share this moment with you.